San Francisco Fun

Monday, August 4, 2008

Last weekend, Monica and I visited Maya in San Francisco for her birthday. We both flew in on Friday night but Monica was whisked away to the 'burbs to see some family members while I was picked up by the birthday girl herself. Starving, Maya and I got some chicken shawarmas from a local fast greek food joint and brought it back to her super cute apartment in the Mission to eat, chat, and drink lots of white wine.


The next morning, we got breakfast at a delicious French bakery nearby (I miss city life); I got a flaky beautiful chocolate croissant while Maya got a savory pouf pastry thing with Gruyere cheese. So satisfying. We also picked up some fruit bread pudding for dessert later - yes we were already thinking to future meals...


Energized by baked goods, we went to an 11am yoga class at Maya's studio. The class was packed with weekend warriors and unfortunately we had an obnoxiously hippy dippy substitute instructor who spent the first 20 minutes yabbering about nothing in particular. By the time we actually started asanas, I was so tense and irritated I could have slapped the woman silly. Luckily, the flow sequences turned out to be quite interesting and fun and I quickly found myself enjoying the rest of the class. As usual, I sweated my butt off so it was a good workout indeed.

For lunch, we picked up some bread, cheese, salami, fruit, and couscous salad from the grocery store and drove north 20 minutes, by way of the Golden Gate Bridge, to a beautiful cliff area overlooking Muir Beach. The views were great but it was so windy that we made our speedy escape after taking some pictures.





Monica arrived on the train that afternoon and the three of us had dinner at an Italian pizzeria where we ordered a yummy broccoli rabe, mozzarella, and yellow tomato pizza and split a bottle of red wine. That night, Maya had some friends come over to preparty and we drank many more bottles of wine and made mixed drinks. By the time we headed to a bar called Double Dutch, we were all pretty drunk which explains why the rest of the night was so hazy.

The next morning, I felt like I'd been run over by a bus. I just don't recover the way I used to! We met some more friends for brunch and then it was time to drop me off at the airport to return to sunny warm San Diego. It was a brief trip but a great time with old friends. Should definitely occur more often.

Comments

0 Responses to "San Francisco Fun"