Blessed Friday

Friday, October 3, 2008

Today was an incredibly slow day at work. Productivity was at a minimum while procrastination was at an all time high. Don't get me wrong, if I had any sort of interesting work to do, I would have done it. That just wasn't the case today. So instead, I indulged in an extra long lunch workout where I ran 4 miles and did some sporadic lifting. I suffered side cramps around mile 2 but was able to muster my way through them. That puts me at 7 miles this week so if I can just find the energy to do 3 miles this weekend in between yoga classes, then I'll be happy.

In the afternoon, I took every opportunity I could to strike up non-work related conversations. Luckily, everyone had an opinion on last night's VP debates so I was able to waste a good amount of time on that. Last night's debate was not as entertaining as I'd hoped it'd be. Unfortunately, Palin did not run offstage or break down and cry or even implode (so disappointed). Instead she successfully accomplished what she's been coached to do for weeks - she stuck to her main points (at times in blatant disregard for the moderator's question) and tried to endear herself to the Joe Shmoe's of the country. Almost every pundit agreed that Palin redeemed her image (after several laughable performances on televised interviews), implying that she'd done a good job. Wait a minute...if someone watched that debate without any prior knowledge of the candidates, he would have clearly identified Biden as the winner. He would have thought Palin gave very broad sweeping statements that were not back by any facts. He would have thought Palin's flippant demeanor was not befitting of any top office and he would have thought her whole performance was very scripted and staged. For the love of god, her strategy was so obvious from the beginning when her opening response involved asking what parents at a soccer game would think of the economic crisis. Lame. And how many freaking time is she use the word "maverick" and ridiculously referring to herself and McCain as a "team of mavericks"? Lame. Are there really no new tricks in the bag? Yes she came across much better than in her recent appearances. Yes she seemed believeable in a governer role. But hello, VP?? I think not. One word sums this woman up quite nicely: FLUFF.

On the other hand, I thought Biden gave an outstanding performance. Yes he too had a strategy. Don't pick on Palin directly and don't sound imposing or condescending. Luckily he stuck to the plan, although it's unfortunate that he had to hold back like that as I would have loved to see him rip into her. Too bad Hillary wasn't the VP candidate because then the Republicans couldn't play the sex card. But aside from that, I thought Biden was passionate, sincere, very knowledge, and most importantly presidential. There were two standout moments in my book - the first was when Biden countered Palin's "mom experience" by pointing out his own personal story as a single father, and second when he shot down the characterization of McCain as a "maverick". Great job Joe!

Comments

1 Response to "Blessed Friday"

Monkey said... October 3, 2008 at 8:20 PM

gawd. did you see her interview with fox (hate fox) where she said she was simply "annoyed" during the katie couric interviews? and then she says she reads the new york times and the economist and etc. ugh. i hate her.