Pooped

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Where to start...

On Friday, Ryan and I left work early to drive to Las Vegas for the Obama Drive for Change campaign. We originally volunteered for next weekend (final push before the elections) but decided to go earlier since Ryan's aunt and cousins would be there this weekend. After a painful six hour drive, we arrived tired and famished. We hustled over to the Bellagio where aunt Kaye hooked us up with a free meal at the buffet. There I proceeded to eat 3 plates of food, some of my favorite items including kobe beef brisket, new england clam chowder, creamy polenta, rack of lamb, manicotti, mac and cheese, sweet potato hash, and creme brulee. We were literally close to hemorrhaging from fullness. By the time we finished eating, everyone else was ready for a Chinese dinner so we sat with them and just drank water and had good conversation. After the food coma wore off, we stopped by the chocolate shop and I got a bag of cognac truffles and a box of assorted truffles for us to take home - ps the cognac truffles were finished off tonight. Finally, we headed to the Westin and crashed for the night.

On Saturday, we woke up at 7:30, checked out of the hotel, and headed to the volunteer site. Apparently we're not allowed to blog about canvassing, probably because they don't want to publicize any strategy or whatever, but we were essentially going door to door. It was a very interesting experience, and a lot more tiring then I thought it would be (stupid hot Vegas weather). To our surprise, Obama was scheduled to speak at a local rally and we were given free tickets to attend. Unfortunately, by the time we finished all our doors and rushed over to the rally, we'd just missed his speech. Bummer. Again, we were famished, since it was 3:30 and we only had a nutrition bar for lunch, so we rushed back to the Bellagio and AGAIN ate at the buffet. Luckily we had learned our lesson and only ate two plates of food. Still so delicious. Afterwards we stopped at the chocolate shop AGAIN to get Ryan's parents a box of truffles and to pick up a sandwich for the ride home. Armed with a latte, we got in the car for the long drive home. I took the first shift and actually ended up driving the whole way. It only took four and a half hours since it was night time and there was no traffic. My butt was pretty numb by the time we got home and I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Ryan woke up early for soccer today while I lounged around in bed until an indecent hour. I really did consider waking up for a 4 or 5 mile run but after the exhausting trip to Vegas, I figured I deserved a break. When Ryan got back, he was craving pizza so we dined at BJ's (not glamorous but hit the spot). I was pleasantly satisfied with their buffalo wings. Afterwards, we went to circuit city to get a new laptop since mine had suddenly stopped working - I realized this late last night when I got home. I ended up getting a lenovo at a pretty good price for the spec so I was very happy. Ryan upgraded his Blackberry to the latest model since he had some credit available. Stocked with gadgets, we went home like kids on Christmas day but didn't get a chance to play with our new toys since we had a couple's massage scheduled in the afternoon at the Estancia spa. The occasion was prompted by Ryan's recent sale of an old laptop on craigslist. We've both been exercising so much that we figured it was long over due. Boy, was it relaxing. We both had the knots wrestled out of our bodies. Afterwards, we hung out in the steam rooms, showered, and then headed to Henry's for some groceries. Back at home, we immediately began tinkering with our new toys and consuming massive amounts of chocolate. God damn you wedding diet!! I'll start it again tomorrow :)...

Comments

1 Response to "Pooped"

JV said... October 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I am sooo jealous. ALL of it sounds fantastic. Especially the cognac truffles...