Tandoori Chicken

Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Oh...my...God...this dish is so good!! Monkey has been raving about this recipe for quite a while now and I just now got around to making it. What the hell was I waiting for? It was so easy to whip together and the chicken turned out very very tender and scrumptious. I meant to make saag paneer to accompany this but I forgot to pick up spinach so instead we just had some steamed broccoli. I halved the recipe since I wasn't sure we could eat all that chicken but in retrospect I wish I had DOUBLED it instead. This will definitely be on heavy rotation through our weekday dinner menu.

Tandoori Chicken
Courtesy of Cook's Illustrated, comments by Monkey

2 tbs veg oil
6 med garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 tbs grated fresh ginger
1 tbs garam masala
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 cup plain yogurt
4 tbs juice from 2 limes, plus 1 lime cut into wedges
2 tsp table salt
3 pounds bone in chicken parts (i stick to dark meats)

1. heat oil in small skillet over medium heat until shimmering. add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 min. add garam masala, cumin and chili powder, continue to cook until fragrant, 30-60 sec longer. transfer half of garlic spice mixture to medium bowl, stir in yogurt and 2 tbs lime juice and set aside.

2. in large bowl, combine remaining garlic spice mix, remaining 2 tbs lime juice, and salt. using sharp knife, lightly score skinned side of each piece of chicken, making 2 or 3 shallow cuts about 1 inch apart and about 1/8 inch deep (i kind of cut willy nilly). transfer to bowl. using hands, gently massage salt-spice mixture into chicken until all pieces are evenly coated, let stand at room temp 30 min.

3. adjust oven rack to about 6 inches from heating element and heat oven 325 degrees. pour yogurt mix over chicken and toss until evenly coated with thick layer. arrange chicken pieces, scored side down, on wire rack set in foil lined rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan. discard excess yogurt mix. bake chicken 15-25 minutes (depending on size. for drumsticks, i cook for 15 min)

4. after removing chicken from oven, turn oven to broil and heat 10 min. once broiler is heated, flip chicken pieces over and broil until chicken is lightly charred in spots, 8-15 min.


Sadly, it looks like I've tweaked something in my neck/back area. It started to feel off Sunday night so I'm not sure if it's from my intense yoga class on Sunday, from awkwardly reclining on the sofa, or from sleeping strangely. One thing's for sure, tonight's yoga class exacerbated the injury ten fold. It now hurts anytime I move an inch. Ugh. Looks like I'll have to hold on the yoga and pray it gets better before Saturday's class. Back to the treadmill tomorrow.

Comments

0 Responses to "Tandoori Chicken"