Plump Figs and Currants

Sunday, June 28, 2009


It took all my will power this afternoon not to rip these figs off the tree and stuff them all in my face at once. Two of them are pretty soft and fattened up, but they're still green and I'm fairly certain these need to be brown before the harvest (at least that's what the "Brown Turkey Fig" tag indicated). Sigh. Hopefully, they'll change color soon.

On top of that, the black currants are plumping up and some are even starting to darken. So tasty looking...


Overall, our little veggie bed is coming along nicely. Badge thinned the green onions and chili peppers this weekend. I was ok with throwing out the green onions but since we had so few chili pepper sprouts to begin with, I decided to salvage one and plant it in a pot. It's hard to see them and the swiss chards in this picture but they're trucking along.


Sadly, the cat nip seeds never germinated! I did see one small sprout but I'm not sure if it's cat nip or not. I decided to bring the tray indoors and cover it with saran wrap to keep the soil moist. I'm hoping they will germinate once they are sheltered. Perhaps my vigorous watering was disturbing the seeds too much. Lastly, here's the hydrangea Busy Mama passed on. Seems to be doing well!


Turns out we never went to home depot yesterday since both Badge and I fell into a deep late afternoon nap. So today after yoga and soccer we went and picked up some zero-VOC paint and hardware for the bathroom cabinets. Unfortunately, they were out of zero-VOC primer so Badge will be hustling back in a few days to pick some up. I also picked up a cute little plant to bring into work and keep me company.

Lastly, I'm excited to plan a fourth of July cook out for the family. Badge's nephew will be visiting from Wed through Mon so I'm planning to stuff him full of food. The weather should be nice so we'll definitely take him to the beach. About time my white butt saw some sun!

Comments

1 Response to "Plump Figs and Currants"

Monkey said... June 29, 2009 at 7:42 AM

yay!! your plants look amazing!

how are your citrus trees doing?