Sleepy Cats and Pizza

Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Time for another installment of sleepy cats! This one illustrates how my cats spend most of their time lounging on their backs with their feet in the air. Too god damn cute.



So a few days ago, I finally made pizza using the dough recipe my sister sent. Remember this yummy creation she made? I followed suite by baking my pizza in a cast iron skillet with homemade pesto sauce and white cheddar cheese and goat cheese sprinkled on top. The crust came out really well and was super easy to make. Definitely the best I've ever made by hand. Can't wait to try with a tomato sauce.


Pizza Dough
Monkey's instructions

1 packet yeast (1 tbs)
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 tsp sugar (i usually use a pinch of sugar)

proof for 5-10 min
add 1 3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt

i mix with a rice paddle and then start kneading with my hand in the bowl. it should be sticking to your fingers and kind of messy. knead and squeeze for around 5 min. you can then transfer to a new bowl if the current bowl is too messy. just put a bit of olive oil on it. let rise for 45 min. should be stretchy looking and full of air.

for my cast iron pan, i usually pinch of half the dough or a little less and push flat into the pan. you don't want the dough to be too thick, but don't worry about having to be all gentle with the dough. oh and remember to coat the pan with a little olive oil.

i firmly believe in not using mozarella now. for my pizzas i start by spreading fresh pesto. then placing olives or tomatoes around. crumble goat cheese around. and then put grated extra sharp white cheddar over everything. bake at 450. i think maybe around 20 min, but take peeks. i like it when there are spots of brown around. should be easy to lift from pan.


And finally, Badge and I have been slowly working to paint the kitchen cabinets. It looks great so far but we've only done a small section. I had a few incidents during the painting. First, Henry sprinted across a freshly painted door, tracking white paint all over the kitchen floor before I could catch her. I then proceeded to wash her paws under the kitchen sink with her screaming and clawing at me to escape (my cats really hate water). Traumatized, I went back to painting only to have it happen AGAIN with Fred!! Equally disastrous. At least it's worth it, looks great. Maybe we'll be done by the fall.


Comments

2 Responses to "Sleepy Cats and Pizza"

Monkey said... July 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

mmmm pizza. i wish i had any time to cook. i'm heating up TJ enchiladas

Anonymous said... July 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM

OMG, finally catching up on some blog reading. There is nothing better than sleepy kitties. I wanna come over and give them kisses. Your food pictures are making me so hungry! And, love the white cabinets. Nicely done!