Restaurant Review: Sea Rocket Bistro

Saturday, January 30, 2010


Last night, we invited Spike, Frog, Dog, and Luna out to dinner at Sea Rocket Bistro in North Park. Judging by their website, Sea Rocket has got to be the most sustainable restaurant in SD. All their food comes from local farmers, fishermen, and ranchers. In fact, they even have a map on their website showing where all the food comes from. Neat-o.

The restaurant was small and cozy. The ceiling in the main dining room was covered with old wine/beer cartons and large paper mache fish hung in suspended animation. The Christmas lights added some post holiday charm (not sure if they are up year round). And the smell when you walked in was heavenly! I couldn't wait to eat.

Once seated, we had a flight of local beers and ciabatta bread to start. The bread came with a lima bean spread, honey garlic butter, and olive oil. The honey garlic butter was so delicious. I could not stop eating it. There was a bit of texture to the butter so I'm fairly sure they used honeycomb. Yum.

For first course, I had a delicious tomato basil soup. I was originally interested in the urchin bisque but apparently that was rather large and I still wanted to get an entree. Nevertheless I was quite happy with the soup. Badge got some fresh oysters of which I had one. Very good. For main course, I had the seared scallops with mashed potatoes and greens, drizzled with olive oil. The scallops were cooked to perfection. Everything on the plate went right into my mouth. Badge had a pasta primavera with mushrooms, seasonal veggies, and gouda cheese. Also quite delicious.



And for dessert, I had a coconut cupcake and coffee, while Badge had a tangerine bread pudding. All in all, a great meal at a reasonable price! The service was a bit slow but it's definitely a small shop so understandable. Will go back for sure!



Comments

0 Responses to "Restaurant Review: Sea Rocket Bistro"