Oh Hi Oh: Part 1

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Oh Ye Sleepy Village of Mariemont. We thought you were a ghetto suburb of Cincinnati, but turns out you're a quaint English-inspired utopian community. Upon seeing your inn (where we stayed), I felt delighted, confused, betrayed. On one hand, your adorable (and delicious) corner ice cream parlor had me giggling like a schoolgirl. On the other hand, you looked nothing like I had imagined. Why had I assumed Riley grew up in a less than pleasant neighborhood? Well, I guess I assumed all of Ohio was less than pleasant. Mairemont, you proved me wrong.


Leaving Friday morning, Spike, Frog, Kris, Si, Sophie, and I embarked on a Gordon clan journey to see Riley for his high school graduation. Badge was already in NY for business so he flew directly to Ohio to join the group. Once arrived and refreshed, we went to Riley's graduation party (co-hosted with his friends) at the local tavern. There, we finally met Riley's girlfriend Caity (cute as a button and sweet as pie), his parents whom I've never met (nicest people ever), and his motley crew of friends including Brian (the gentle giant), Christian (the Dane), Ian (the Spock/"that guy Boone from Lost" look-a-like), and Josh aka "Skeeter" (the guy with the mullet). Afterwards, we were hankering for a full meal so we went to the Cheesecake Factory with Riley and Caity. Much eating was had.

The next morning, we went to Starbucks (the first of many many trips) and ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. My eggs florentine were quite tasty but the service was deplorably slow.


Afterwards, Riley gave us the tour of his 'hood.


The houses were perfectly picturesque, complete with manicured lawns, American flags, and signs supporting youth sports.


He took us to the bluff overlooking the area. Very pretty. By the way, I'd like to take this moment to mention how hot and muggy it was. It was mid 80's I think and the humidity made you sweat buckets even when standing still.


Uncle with nephew. Awwww.


Pretty flower.


Afterwards, we went to Cupcakery, the organic cupcake bakery where Caity works. I wanted to eat every single cupcake in the store but since that probably went against some unspoken social rule, I opted for two mini chocolate truffle and one mini lemon raspberry. Yummy.



So perfectly bite sized.


Stuffed with sweets, we made our way to Indian Hills High, the arch-nemesis of Mariemont High, for a blood bath of epic proportions. Well, it was a lacrosse game, not a blood bath, but there was a lot of smacking and fierce body checks.


Here's Riley, number 35, attacking some poor soul.


Whack whack.


For dinner, we met up with Susan and her boyfriend Byron at a tasty Italian restaurant called Belle Luna. Very cute ambiance. I never thought red walls could look good but these red walls looked both cozy and romantic. I had the seafood pasta. I've been on a real seafood kick lately. Watch out clams.


Afterwards, we convinced Riley to take us to Buskins, the legendary bakery he worked at for a summer. Freshly baked creme donuts, I cannot deny you. Delicious.



Stay tuned for part 2...

Comments

0 Responses to "Oh Hi Oh: Part 1"