Chili For a Chilly Day

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What do you do when it's rainy and cold out?

When you're stressed and tired?


You cook!

On Sunday, I made chili, using an old tried and true recipe. I omitted the sausage for no reason other than I just didn't feel like buying it. Doesn't really add anything noticeable in my opinion. Topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream, and sopped up with plenty of french white bread, this chili was definitely food for the soul.

Riding the cooking wave tonight, I finally got around to cooking the brussel sprout stalk I bought from TJ's last week. I've never actually bought sprouts on a stalk. Kinda freaky looking plant, no? Like alien brains with tentacles. I guess it's appropriate for Halloween.


I don't cook brussel sprouts often, but I do remember cooking them with my friends once during a dinner party (back when I lived in NY). I remember pan cooking them with chicken broth, a pinch of nutmeg, and plenty of butter. I mean it. PLENTY of butter.

I started these the same way but ended up tossing them in a dish, topping with parmesan cheese, and finishing off in the oven. Delicious! Great flavor.


To pair, I made baked lemon pasta, loosely following another tried and true recipe. Didn't get a chance to snap a shot since Badge and I fell on the food like ravenous beasts. The meal was instant cheer at the end of a long day.

I love food.

Comments

1 Response to "Chili For a Chilly Day"

Monkey said... October 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

oh man that looks amazing!! i want some :O