Dumplings

Thursday, January 6, 2011


During my family's visit last week, we made dumplings! I've made dumplings a few times in my life, mostly while I was in college. Of course, I'd always bought dumpling wrappers from the store. As it turns out, Monkey is now an expert dough maker, so she taught me how to make my own.


First we made the filling (see Monkey's post for recipe). We made one batch of pork and one batch of turkey.


Then Monkey made the dough out of just flour and water (go figure). She kneaded the hell out of that dough, then let it rest for a while. Then it was time for the rolling.


Look at those beautifully thin wrappers.


We had quite the little sweatshop going in my kitchen. This is about 1/3 of the dumplings we eventually cranked out.


We panfried these suckers by heating them in oil, adding a bit of water, covering, and letting the steam cook the dumplings.




Overall very tasty. I definitely like the texture of the homemade wrappers more than store bought. Unfortunately I ran out of things like sesame oil and white pepper so the filling wasn't quite right (plus I didn't add enough salt), but since you're dipping it in soy sauce anyway I didn't notice too much. The rest we froze for another day. I heart dumplings.


Comments

2 Responses to "Dumplings"

Monkey said... January 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

i adjusted the salt and soy sauce levels so if you follow my new filling recipe (see pork and leek dumplings) it ought to be perfect. i also highly recommend you people stop buying sriracha sauce and get on board with chili garlic sauce. mmmmmm. man you take good pictures!

busy mama said... January 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM

OMG they look so good and I will make those very very soon....