Parmesan Polenta and Spicy Sausage Sauce

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


Badge and I have been eating up a storm. First, on our Portland trip, then on our LA trip, and most recently on our NY/Baltimore trip (post coming soon). After all that eating, I'm now a good 18-20 lbs heavier than my pre-pregnacy weight. Doh! Luckily no one can tell, because apparently I wear my weight well.

Hey look I rhymed...

Where was i? Oh yes, I guess it's time to get back to business with eating (semi)healthy food and exercising. Yesterday I went to yoga after work and had a nice class. I can no longer do deep forward bending or twists, but I'm happy to report that I'm still really bendy in the backwards direction. Standing up and dropping back from upward wheel is still accessible, and surprisingly so is scorpion (although I really should probably stop doing that). Today at lunch I ran 3 miles on the treadmill. Because my stomach feels like a brick, I need to run at the incredibly slow pace of 12:30min/mile per hour but at least I got it done and worked up a sweat.

For dinner, I decided to make a polenta dish from cooking light. Very easy, very tasty, very healthy. Big win. I omitted the sausage because we've been eating a lot of meat lately but I'm sure it's even more delicious with. To pair with the polenta, I sauteed spinach and added toasted pine nuts. Enjoy!

Parmesan Polenta and Spicy Sausage Sauce
Courtesy of Cooking Light
1 tbs olive oil
3 oz (2 links) sun dried tomato chicken sausage, sliced
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs chopped fresh oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 (14.5oz) can diced tomato, undrained
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
3/4 cup quick cooking polenta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat med saucepan over med high heat. Add oil, sausage; saute 3 min or until browned. Add onion; saute 5 min or until tender. Add garlic; saute 30 sec. Add oregano, pepper, and tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 15 min, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup basil; cook 5 min or until sauce thickens (I threw in some red wine).

Combine broth and water in large saucepan; bring to boil. Ad polenta, reduce heat, and simmer 5 min or until thick, stirring frequently with whisk. Stir in half of cheese. Place 2/3 cup polenta in each of 4 bowls; top with 3/4 cup sauce, 1 tbs basil, and 1 tbs cheese.

Comments

1 Response to "Parmesan Polenta and Spicy Sausage Sauce"

Monkey said... April 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. love polenta!