Boulder, Colorado

Monday, January 7, 2008


For the last five days, Ryan and I have been vacationing in Boulder, home of Ryan's alma mater, the University of Colorado. To be honest, when Ryan first suggested the destination, I wasn't ecstatic. I'd never been to Colorado before and I envisioned us holed up in a log cabin with nothing to do. Luckily, Boulder proved to have many cute restuarants, coffee shops, and bars. We had tons of things to do and plenty to see just walking around. Here are some highlights from the trip:

Wed - Mick & Willy's pizza, beer and pool at Sundown Saloon, beer and sushi at Hapa
Thurs - Egg and cheese sandwich at Deli Zone, Illegal Pete's burrito, wandered around campus, Nuggets vs. Spurs game in Denver, beer and pool at the Foundry, beer and buffalo wings at The Boulder Pub.
Fri - Flapjacks and french toast at The Original Pancake House, tapas at The Med, watched Juno, burritos at Casa Alveraz where Ryan used to work in college
Sat - Yummy burgers at The Sink, beer and football at The Walrus Saloon, random hippie folk music at the Fox Theatre, chicken gyro at University Deli
Sun - Returned to rainy San Diego

It had snowed right before we arrived so everything was perfectly picturesque. We stayed at Hotel St. Julien which turned out to be a great value for the price. I mean, it's not cheap but I was surprised by how luxurious and upscale it was for what we did pay. Overall, this vacation was just what we needed to start the new year.

Note: There's not much diversity in Boulder. Everyone was white and either sporting the heavily bearded lumberjack look or the preppy rich North Face look. I think I saw two black people the whole time I was there and three Asians. I wanted to hug them and tell them there were more of us out in the world.

Comments

0 Responses to "Boulder, Colorado"