Persian Beef and Celery Stew

Sunday, February 10, 2008


To round out my super Sunday cooking extravaganza, I made a Persian beef and celery stew that Parisa taught me back when we were EV neighbors in NY. This stew has an interesting wonderful flavor from all the herbs, lime juice, and saffron. I usually serve over normal jasmine rice because I'm too lazy and intimidated to make fried saffron rice.

1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1-2 tsp tumeric
1 lb stew beef cubes
2 celery bunches, cut into 1 inch long sections
2 bunches parsley, chopped
2 bunches mint, chopped
4 limes
~1/8 tsp saffron

1) Saute onion and tumeric in oil for ~5 minutes. Add beef and brown completely.
2) Saute celery, parsley, and mint in oil for a couple of minutes. Add to beef and onions. (I usually omit this step and just add the veggies directly to beef).
3) Add water until barely covered. (I like to add less and add more as necessary). Add juice of 3 limes and throw some salt and pepper in.
4) Mix saffron in a few tablespoons of hot water to extract flavor. Let sit for a few minutes and then add to stew.
5) Bring to a boil and simmer 2.5 hours, or cook in pressure cooker for 20-25 min.
6) Add remaining lime juice and season to taste. Serve over rice.

Comments

1 Response to "Persian Beef and Celery Stew"

Monkey said... February 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM

mmmmm. i'm going to make this soon!