Spoke Too Soon

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sadly, I wasn't even able to make it through the first week of training. On Friday afternoon, a bizarre illness fell on me like a ton of bricks. Out of nowhere, I had a horrible sore throat and mild fever. I felt weak and achy all over. I suspect one of the interviewees from Thurs or Fri spread their disease to me through a friendly handshake, but that's pure speculation.

Unfortunately, my immune system was unable to pull any miracles out this weekend. At least today I was able to swallow, so I deluded myself into thinking I could run the 6 miles required for the long run. I trucked over to the gym at work (dragging Ryan along) and got on the treadmill. Who was I kidding? I felt ok until mile 2 and then realized I could barely breathe. Somehow I made it to mile 3 before I gave up. Tip: do not eat left over Pizza Hut pizza, bread sticks, and buffalo wings one hour before a run - especially especially not the buffalo wings.

I'm hoping a good night's sleep tonight and tomorrow night will fix whatever is wrong with me. I looked at the back of my throat in the mirror and it certainly looks bumpy, swollen, and all around disgusting. I plan to pop some vitamin C's and hope for the best.

On a side note, I finally finished reading Kavalier and Clay. While it was a great story, I won't deny that I didn't find it riveting. Something about the flow of the writing style invited my attention to wander. I'm too sick to describe it in any more depth so I'll leave it at that.

Comments

1 Response to "Spoke Too Soon"

Monkey said... February 24, 2008 at 5:19 PM

why were you trying to run six miles when you're sick? i am smacking you on the head with a wooden spatula. daaaaammy!