Challah Disaster

Wednesday, October 15, 2008


Monday was the day I finally baked some challah. Um can you say disaster? The recipe called for 8 cups of all purpose flour and I only had 4 cups left in the pantry. I did however have plenty of whole-wheat flour. Rather than running to the corner store to restock, I let laziness get the better of me. Boy did my results suffer. The bread looked beautiful coming out of the oven but it was as dense as Palin at a chess match. The texture was all wrong and it tasted overwhelmingly of wheat and yeast. We tried generously spreading strawberry jam over the bread to hide my failure but it was a futile effort. With a heavy heart, I threw both loaves away. One day, when I'm recovered from this traumatic experience, I will try baking challah again...one day...

Comments

4 Responses to "Challah Disaster"

Monkey said... October 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM

it really does look awesome though. you should change your post and pretend you made crazy good challah. no one who didn't taste it would know...

Bunny said... October 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM

i have ethics!!!

JV said... October 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM

It's gorgeous! I vote on Monkey's side. No one would ever know. Plus, you're the same girl with the "cooking burn" (read: waxing disaster), so if you can fib about that, why not this?

Ryan Gordon said... October 16, 2008 at 12:51 PM

hey,
there's victims involved in this tragedy. my hopes of homemade challah hit the garbage like the loaves themselves.