Watch Out Streets

Tuesday, November 18, 2008


Last Friday, Ryan and I went to a bike store and invested in an electric bicycle. After much debate, we've decided to sell my car and replace my mode of transporation with a more eco-friendly solution. Given that I only drive my car to work and to yoga, both of which are in the neighborhood, this made the most sense. The bike is pretty cool - there's a rechargeable battery and an electric motor that gives you a nice push each time you pedal. Additionally, there's a throttle that you can use to get some juice without pedaling. So far, I've ridden it to and from work and yoga, and I must say it's been quite enjoyable. I definitely still need to pedal to move at a decent pace but I barely break a sweat, even on big hills. Awesome.

Today, I went to the gym and ran my intervals. It's the first official week of training so no more slacking from here. I did 4 quarter mile intervals at 6.9 and was feeling pretty good until the last one when the obnoxiously dry heat started to wear on me. But at least I got through them. I can't wait until this weather cools down. Afterward, I tried to give blood but was initially denied because my iron level was too low. I requested they try again and the second test yielded an iron level that just passed. What's going on? Must be the combination of eating less meat and working out so much. Good thing the wheatgrass is ready to harvest soon (lots of iron). After giving blood (apparently they take a whole pound!), I noticed my left arm was quite sore. The nurse had to poke around a bit with the needle so I expected as much. However, after 6 hours, my arm is still ridiculously sore. I can barely lift it! I even had to get Ryan to pick me up so I could drive home one handedly while he took the bike home. Ugh I hope it gets better after some sleep. Sadly there was no way I could do yoga so I didn't go tonight. Luckily tomorrow is my day off so I can rest up.

Comments

1 Response to "Watch Out Streets"

JV said... November 19, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Electric bike... donating blood... woman, you are saving the universe! Go girl!

I want to learn how to run intervals...