Windy Runs Are The Worst

Sunday, November 9, 2008

This week was a wash in terms of running. I couldn't run on Tues since we had a birthday lunch for my coworker Juliette. Then I couldn't run on Thurs since we had our departmental team building event at Dave & Busters - where I drank lots of beer and played an insane amount of video games, subsequently giving myself a blister on my thumb (so pathetic). I meant to run on Wed but frankly I was too lazy and strangely sore from yoga on Mon and Tues. Finally on Fri, I hit the gym, meaning to run 6 miles to make up some mileage. Unfortunately, the treadmills were taken when I got there and by the time one freed up, my 6 mile goal was leaving a bad taste in my mouth. At mile 3, I saw our CEO walked in, giving me the perfect excuse to stop and give up the treadmill. After my run, I sadly added my meager 3 miles to the running log.

Yesterday, I had an intense yoga class but today was the day I was hoping to make up some miles. We woke up at 7:20 and headed out to Ocean Beach where Ryan had a soccer game at 8:30. I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast but figured I'd just try to suffer through 6 miles on an empty stomach. As soon as we stepped out on the field, I knew it'd be a terrible run. It was ridiculously windy out by the water, making my nose incredibly dry and my nasal glands kick into high gear. I wish I could master the "snot rocket" but I am terrible at it so it is never an option. Sniffing along, I pushed against the wind which turned my leisurely pace into a crippled pace. Nonetheless, I ran out along Mission Bay until I thought I'd hit the 4 mile mark (no idea really since I dont have a Garmin boo hoo) and then turned back. At mile 6 I had to walk for a bit but I made it back in once piece. When I got home, I mapped my run and it turns out I ran 7.5 miles. Whoo hoo at least I made it over 10 for the week.

Comments

1 Response to "Windy Runs Are The Worst"

busy mama said... November 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Good job!