Steak Tacos

Tuesday, June 2, 2009


While in Philly, I found this recipe in my sister's Cooks Illustrated and it looked too tempting to pass up. So I sent Ryan off to the grocery store this afternoon to pick up the ingredients. I had originally planned to cook after yoga but I was starving after work and decided to just skip the exercise and go straight to eating. The steak turned out pretty tasty though I should have marinated it longer I think and probably sliced it thinner. Once again my hungry made me impatient. The pickled onions, however, turned out perfectly and to DIE for. I could eat a whole batch of that by itself. After looking through all the CI magazines, I've decided to subscribe to their online site. Hopefully, there will many more CI recipe posts to come!

Steak Tacos

herb paste
1/2 cup cilantro
3 med garlic cloves, chopped
3 med scallions, chopped
1 med jalapeno, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup veg oil
1 tbs juice from 1 lime

steak
1 flank steak (1.5 to 1.75 lbs), trim excess fat and cut lengthwise
along grain into 4 pieces
1 tbs kosher salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbs veggie oil

pulse herb mix in processor until resemble pesto, reserve 2 tbs and
whisk in lime juice, set aside
poke steak 10-12 times on each side with a fork. place in large
baking dish and rub with salt and herb paste, cover with plastic and
refrigerate at least 30 min up to 1 hour.
scrape herb paste off steak and sprinkle all sides evenly with sugar
and pepper. heat oil in 12 inch skillet over med high heat until
smoking. cook till browned, about 3 min. flip and sear second side 2
to 3 min. stand on side until browned. transfer to board and rest 5
min.
slice steak across grain into 1/8 inch pieces. transfer to bown with
herb-lime mixture and toss to coat. season with salt.

sweet and spicy pickled onion
1 med red onion, slice thin
1 c red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 jalapenos
1/4 tsp salt

bring vinegar, sugar, jalapenos and salt to simmer in saucepan. pour
vinegar over onions and cover loosely, let cool to room temp about 30
min. once cool, drain and discard liquid.




Comments

0 Responses to "Steak Tacos"