Salsa Verde

Sunday, August 30, 2009


We recently received a bag of tomatillos in our CSA delivery. I didn't recognize them at first since I've never seen a tomatillo in person, but I soon figured it out. Green, size of a cherry tomato, covered by a weird papery husk. Interesting. I cut one in half and took a nibble. Very interesting. The texture is completely different from a regular tomato. Pretty firm and crisp, almost melon like. Taste is also very different. I'm sure no one eats these raw. But what to do with them...

Of course, make salsa verde!

This recipe is pretty easy and came out very tasty. I substituted purple onion since I didn't have yellow, and the recipe actually called for 1 1/2 tsp salt but I only used 1 tsp. I even think I would use less than that next time. I just wish we hadn't run out of chips. This salsa is quite addicting.


Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Courtesy of AllRecipes.com

1 pound tomatillos, husked
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 serrano chile peppers, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 cups water

Place tomatillos, onion, garlic, and chile pepper into a saucepan. Season with cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt; pour in water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the tomatillos are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.

Using a blender, carefully puree the tomatillos and water in batches until smooth.

Comments

0 Responses to "Salsa Verde"