What A Week

Thursday, August 6, 2009

This week has been super stressful. Not just at work (although I had a couple deadlines this week) but also at home. My mom, who has been in Taiwan the last couple of months, recently got pretty sick. She's been having severe stomach pains, throwing up, and has even passed out. My aunt took her to the hospital where she had a blood test and she tested really high for something (mom didn't know english equivalent) correlated with stomach cancer. So she called my sister and me to give us the news.

Neither of us even knew she was sick so it was pretty shocking. Considering my mom's brother recently died of stomach cancer and her sister was recently diagnosed with some kind of blood cancer (again mom doesn't know english equivalent but I'm guessing Leukemia), we were pretty worried. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to do except wait for her scheduled endoscopy...and wait and wait. I tried not to think about it much but as the days passed I got progressively more paranoid and stressed. Last night, I couldn't take it anymore and gave into my worst fears, resulting in much crying and ballyhoo. Luckily Badge was there to calm me down but not before I talked to my sister and caused her to have a mini meltdown as well. Sorry Monkey!

This morning I woke up and received an email from my mom saying she just got back from the doctors and they think it's a stomach ulcer. It's not 100% confirmed yet but that's most likely the diagnosis. THANK GOD. I feel a little silly for freaking out last night but at least I can rest easy now. I know one day I'll have to actually deal with terrible issues like this, but until that day I'll just keep reminding myself to appreciate the people I love most in this world.

Comments

0 Responses to "What A Week"