Frustration and Flan

Saturday, September 26, 2009


Well, I attempted another glorious return to yoga today. Like last time, it turned to be not so glorious (no surprise).

My sumo left knee injury still hurts and my yoga right sit-bone/hamstring injury flared up again. I tried to take it easy but it's hard because my weekend classes are advanced. I had to vigorously wave my teacher away when he came to pry my body into Marichyasana D. So sad. Strangely enough, the front of my right knee started hurting when I got home. Was it from the bike ride home? Wtf? I'm falling apart. I feel old...

To console myself, I decided to make flan. I've always wanted to make flan but for some reason assumed it was difficult and not worth the effort. Amazingly not. All I had to do was make a caramel from dry sugar and mix the custard. I baked it in a water bath even though the recipe didn't require it (just in case). After it cooled, Badge manhandled the flan during the flipping so I didn't get a perfectly inverted flan, but I was able to cut a nice square out for the photo op. Delicious! Consistency was perfect. Everything I expect a flan to be, and SO easy to make. Will keep this one in rotation.

Spanish Flan
Courtesy of AllRecipes.com

1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Let cool completely. To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool.

Comments

1 Response to "Frustration and Flan"

Monkey said... September 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM

YUM!!!

i will make soon myself.