Monkey and Mommy

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This week, Monkey and Mommy have been in town visiting. There has been a LOT of heavy eating (of course), a good bit of relaxation, and a decent amount of napping. They're still visiting but I figure I should blog what I can so far before it becomes too daunting.

On Friday, I decided to work from home. At 10am, Badge and I picked up Monkey from the airport. Apparently, she did not sleep the previous night (she was up till 3am watching Battlestar Galactica and her flight was at 6am). So we fed her some Rubio's fish tacos and she took a monster nap in the afternoon. That night, we went to Tofu House for some delicious kimchi jigae and of course had Yogurt World afterwards. We then made a mad dash to Barnes & Noble to look for the Settler's of Catan boardgame. We almost didn't find it but Badge made a last effort to ask someone and lo and behold, there it was. I also bought Dead Until Dark, the first in the Sookie Stackhouse series which True Blood is based on. That night, we played Settler's and drank some beer. As always, I thought I was going to win until Monkey pulled a quick one and took the game. So began my journey into Settler's insanity. Forlorn, I stayed up until 3am reading my book before passing out.


On Saturday, we mostly hung around at home. For lunch, we roasted some blue potatoes, summer squash, and carrots from our CSA delivery. I finished my book (quite entertaining) and we hit up Home Depot for some painting and gardening supplies. Afterwards, we went to Henry's where we discovered a sale on corn, 5 for $1. We bought the max limit of 15 (still tempted to go back for more). In the afternoon, Monkey and I planted some thyme, sage, chamomile, and chive seeds that she brought. That night, we went downtown to La Puerta for burritos and micheladas. Despite being grotesquely full, we still went to Chocolat to meet Dog for gelato. Upon returning home, Badge and I demanded a Settler's rematch. Monkey won again. Woe is me. Badge and I watched some Dexter season 3 to drown our sorrows.

On Sunday, I went to yoga and was happy that my injury felt better although I took extra care not to push myself. When I returned, Mommy and Uncle Jaime had arrived with a car load of misc objects such as a popcorn maker (huh?), a garden tool box on wheels (useful), and a watermelon. We fired up the grill that afternoon and had bbq chicken with corn. I made an upside down plum cake (forgot to take picture doh) that was very delicious despite the fact that I misread the recipe and added twice as much butter as it called for in the caramel sauce. Oops. That night, Uncle Jaime drove back to LA while we hung around. Monkey made us watch the pilot miniseries for Battlestar which started slow but ended pretty well. Eager for a chance at Settler's redemption, we forced Monkey to play again. I was so focused on penalizing Monkey that somehow Badge won the game. Is there no justice in the world? Inconsolable, I pouted on the couch before returning to reason.


On Monday, Monkey, Mommy and I hit up Mitsuwa for some asian groceries. We decided to get sashimi to make yellowtail, salmon and avocado, and eel and avocado rolls. Tasty. We accompanied the rolls with miso soup and edamame. That afternoon, I proceeded to paint the back wall of the kitchen a lovely sky blue color. Looks great, can't wait till Badge puts the hardware on the cabinets. I also started rubbing the paint stains off the floor with paint remover but it's a work in process. Lots of elbow grease. That night, we met Spike, Frog, Dog, and Leslie at Ashoka the Great for some Indian food. So delicious. As always, we completely over ate, came home, and went to cvs for ice cream. We watched the last Dexter episode on our disc and despite multiple attempts to engage Monkey in a chance for Settler's redemption, she insisted we take a night off for fear I lose my sanity. Fine.


On Tues, we had leftovers for lunch and went to Balboa park to walk around. We visited the botanical gardens and the rose and cactus gardens. I gotta say there are some really freaky plants out there. That night Badge went to soccer while the rest of us puttered around. For dinner, we made fish and bulgogi with veggies. Mommy and I had wine while Monkey and Badge had sake. Of course, we played Settler and of course just when I thought I had this one in the bag, Monkey pulls a win out of her ass. Seriously? Seriously?? This game is going to be the death of me.



Today, we went to La Jolla to have brunch at the Cottage. I had the chilaquiles, Mommy the breakfast burrito, Monkey the Monterey scramble, and Badge the Baja chicken hash. Everything was quite tasty. Afterwards we walked around and watched the birds, seals, and misc chipmunks. This afternoon, Spike brought Alexandria over to visit and now we're just hanging out. I can't wait till my shot at Settler's tonight. TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT MUHAHAHAH!!




Unfortunately I have to return to work tomorrow but hopefully I can go in early and leave early. Here's a link to more pics so far.

Comments

0 Responses to "Monkey and Mommy"