Taco Mania Christmas!

Saturday, December 26, 2009


Since this year's Gordon Holiday party is scheduled for the 27th, we weren't sure what to do on Christmas day itself. In the spirit of keeping things mellow, Badge's oldest brother suggested we do taco mania, an age old tradition (just between Badge and his bro) of eating copious amounts of veggie tacos. Though dubious, I relented my urge to make fancy roasts and winter-y foods. Tacos it would be.

Since we're procrastinators, Badge and I didn't end up grocery shopping until the day of. I kept insisting that Whole Foods would be open on Christmas (hey they were open on Thanksgiving!) but alas the place was deserted. Damn. After Badge rubbed in it my face for a good ten minutes, we rushed over to Ralph's, where there were no qualms about mistreating employees on this most prolific of holidays. Once home, I made a double batch of mexican rice and homemade guacamole. Everything else was pretty easy: put out lettuce and sour cream, shred cheese, heat up taco shells, saute morning star tofu taco bits (I sprinkled them with Lawry's taco seasoning), and put out chips and salsa. Oh and heat up beans. Presto. Taco mania is served.


While gorging on taco after taco (which actually were quite delicious), we watched the Lakers-Cavs game. Spike, Frog, Kris, Si, and baby Sophie came over to hang out for a bit, while I snuck back into the kitchen to whip up two pecan pies. I haven't made pie crust in a long time. I think I need to practice it more. Also the recipe I used had no butter, just Crisco. I think next time I'll sub half butter and half Crisco just to get a better flavor. That night, we all went over to Spike and Frogs for more eating and desserts. Unfortunately I was not on my A game with the camera so all I have are two pics of tacos haha. One day I'll actually take some pics of people instead of food.

Today we picked up Riley from the airport and tonight we shall dine at Sips and watch the new Avatar movie in 3D. This coming week promises to be an eating extravaganza. I know I talk about eating a lot, but seriously I'm not exaggerating. We've been packing it IN. There's nothing better than eating yourself silly with the people you love. Hopefully I will find the will power to exercise sometime soon. But if not, there's always the new year :).

Comments

0 Responses to "Taco Mania Christmas!"