Philly: Part 1

Sunday, May 9, 2010

This past week, my mom and I flew to Philly to watch Monkey give her defense. We both arrived on Tues; my mom arriving at 7ish and myself around midnight. We attempted to retire as soon as I got in, but it was not meant to be.

Several factors were at play: 1) Monkey would not stop thinking about her presentation 2) my mom and I were unable to sleep due to jetlag and were thus giggling and gossiping in bed until the wee hours 3) an evil evil mosquito was lurking in the bedroom and bit my mom and I four times each 4) my mom slathered tiger balm on our bites but the strong smell offended my sister's delicate nose horribly and she was unable to sleep. As it turned out, my mom and I only got 3 hours of sleep and poor Monkey only had 1! Nevertheless, we were up bright and early, arriving at the lecture hall with plenty of time to spare for her 9am presentation.


To be honest, I had no idea what to expect from the defense. In my mind, I pictured a committee of professors with my mom and I sitting at the back of the room, smiling like dopes. As it turns out, lots of people came! Friends, professors, lab associates. All in all I'd say there were about 25 people there. Nandan, Monkey's friend, even brought donuts and coffee (I've since been informed this is defense etiquette). After a bit of stress over a missing microphone (never to be resolved), Monkey began her presentation.


Yes, that is the title of her thesis. Stay with me.

Surprisingly, I was able to understand the talk. Sure, some details were lost on me but overall, I finally knew what Monkey has been working on these last four and a half years.

Sciencing. A whole lot of serious sciencing.

Though I'm fairly certain my mom was only thinking about how professional my sister looked in her suit, we were both so proud of her. After her talk, there was a Q&A session, then Monkey was left with her committee to talk for an hour (my mom and I went shopping at the Penn bookstore). Of course, they passed her with flying colors.

Good D, Monkey. Good D.



To celebrate Dr. Huang's nearly earned title, her lab threw her a party, complete with beer and indian food from the most delicious indian restaurant I've ever had the pleasure to eat at: Minar Palace. Oh how I wish I lived near Minar.


After the party, we hustled home to nap (this would become a major theme during my stay in Philly). That night, my mom, Monkey, and I went out to celebrate at a restaurant called Merato. Though there were some downsides - byob (as most Philly restaurants are), cash only (as most Philly restaurants are), deplorably slow service, strangely loud and ruckous-y clientele - the food was delicious.

Very delicious.

Truth be told, when the food is delicious, almost anything is forgivable. To start, we had mussels and clams in a white wine tomato broth. The broth was so yummy; it was a shame they didn't give us more bread to sop it up with.


We also had a crab salad that was the perfect spring dish. So light and refreshing. There were layers of cantaloupe, grapefruit, crab, some sort of fresh salsa, all topped with watercress. This dish was really delightful in it's originality and general tastiness. I wish I had the recipe.


For our entrees, I had scallop with risotto. Sure it's been done before, but I couldn't resist. There's a special place in my stomach for scallops.


My mom had short ribs with gnocchi. The meat was beyond tender and the gnocchi fluffy and pillow-like. The dish was a tad salty but that was my only complaint.


Monkey had lobster ravioli with asparagus. I have no idea what was in the sauce that covered her dish but it made my taste buds dance. I think there was some sort vinegar in there but honestly I was too preoccupied enjoying my bites to really care.


Stuffed, we skipped dessert and walked home. It's been quite warm in Philly, certainly warmer than SD (what's up with our weather?), so the night air was perfect for a stroll.

That night we slept well. Plus, during my frantic mosquito hunt the night before, I killed a suspicious bug which must have been the culprit. We were not to suffer mosquito bites for the reminder of my stay. Success indeed.

Stay tuned for part II...

Comments

1 Response to "Philly: Part 1"

Monkey said... May 10, 2010 at 5:56 AM

yay! you summed things up so much better than i could. i will link to your post instead of trying to post my own. i wish you could have stayed longer...