Chicken with Olives and Feta Cheese

Wednesday, February 23, 2011


Last night was a near disaster. I was planning to make Ina Garten's Indonesian Ginger Chicken but then realized after yoga class, that I was supposed to marinade it overnight. Doh! Panicked, I scoured my recipe book and stumbled upon this oldie but goodie from Monkey.

Easy...check.
Tasty...check.
Fast...check.

Unfortunately, I didn't have all the ingredients but I was sold on the dish so I hustled my butt over to Von's. While there, I couldn't help picking up a big bag of Stacy's cinnamon sugar pita chips and flaming hot cheetos (I blame the baby).

Once home, there was a flurry of cooking resulting in a delicious and filling meal. Definitely worth making when it's so cold out (cold by SD standards).

Chicken with Olives and Feta Cheese
Courtesy of Monkey

2 lbs chicken thighs with skin and bones
1 tbs olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted, sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 tbs chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until brown, about 4 min per side. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 2 tbs drippings from skillet.

Add onion to drippings in skillet. Suate over medium heat 3 min. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 min. Add tomatoes with juices, olives, wine and oregano. Return chickena nd any accumulated juices to sauce, bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25 min.

Transfer chicken and sauce to platter. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve. Great served with orzo.

Comments

1 Response to "Chicken with Olives and Feta Cheese"

Monkey said... February 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Yay! I'm glad the recipe came in handy. I've never once eaten it with orzo, I always eat with couscous or some type of similar little grain.