Where To Begin...

Sunday, December 7, 2008

This post is rather daunting. So much happened this weekend that I'm not sure where to begin!


So on Friday night, I went out with the ladies for my bachelorette party!! Sophie graciously drove myself, Kim B, and Trish downtown where we met Kim G, Jen, Jen's sis Arlene, and Ida at La Puerta for some mexican food. The girls sprung some surprising - and in some cases super embarrassing - things on me such as 1) a scavenger hunt book requiring me to find various men's signatures and other funny items 2) a veil 3) a necklace made out of condoms 4) a large phallic water bottle that I was forced to carry around 5) funny cat "on the prowl" tattoos for everyone 6) big blinky diamond ring and 7) small phallic straws for the ladies. At that point we proceeded to take tequila shots, drink margaritas, eat tasty food, and be routy.


As soon as we left the restaurant, we bumped into a group of guys that went to high school with Trish and Jen. Several signatures were obtained including 1) guy with chinese tattoo 2) guy with $100 and 3) guy with girlfriend named Jessica. From there we wandered over to Whiskey Girl where the night continued with more drinks and fun dancing. I never thought a crazy bachelorette party (complete with tiara and boa which was given to me at the bar) was for me, but I'm sold! The night was super fun (sans sleazy men which Sophie might have mentioned already in her post). I feel so lucky to have met such a great group of girls who put so much thought into making me feel special...and getting me wasted. You guys are the best!


As expected, I woke up on Saturday with a throbbing hangover and a strange recollection of having jumped in the shower for no reason and passed out in my bed wrapped in a wet towel. Luckily phallic water bottle was nearby for the rescue. Around noon, Ryan came home from his trip to NYC and found me still in bed surrounded by an explosion of clothes. I sent him immediately on a Subway run - one of my hangover foods of choice. Italian BMT...so tasty. That afternoon was spent horizontal, trying to replenish my fluids and dozing intermittently. I would have loved to continue that trend into the night but we had a Rancid concert to go to.

Ryan had bought tickets to see Rancid several months back but the show was postponed because the bassist broke his hand. I was skeptical about going so shortly before the wedding (fearing that a punk rocker would give Ryan a black eye in the mosh pit) but we had no choice. Tickets were paid for, what can you do? So we drove down to Point Loma, stopping first at Chick Fila to eat unspeakable amounts of chicken nuggets and chicken sandwiches. Once at Soma, we realized we were way too early as there were two opening acts and the first hadn't even started yet. So we milled around and people watched, panic slowly creeping up as we realized it was an all ages show and they weren't serving any ALCHOL. Eep! On top of that, the first act Danny Diablo turned out to be a ridiculously terrible band/rap/rock group. We had to escape back out until the next act Buck-o-Nine. They were good although I can't say I was ever really into the ska scene. Once they were off, people started packing in in anticipation of the main act. Ryan and I quickly found ourselves sandwiched behind three large mohawks. And finally, Rancid came on. From there it was a blur. People immediately started jumping and pushing, a big mosh pit opening up in the middle. About half way through I gave Ryan the go ahead to mosh and off he went into the crowd. All I could do was continue jumping next to a tall sweaty bearded man praying that Ryan's face would be unharmed for the wedding photos (bruises on the body are ok). A while later I got a text from Ryan telling me to meet him by the sound check in the middle. Easier said then done. I managed to squeeze a path through the crowd, getting many dirty looks, before finally reuniting with my incredibly sweaty fiance. At that point, the set was winding down so we left to beat the crowd. I had a great time, although I couldn't help but experience a bit of mosh envy. Ryan at this point declared the thought of me moshing left a bad taste in his mouth. That night we slept very soundly.

On Sunday, I finally cleaned the house while Ryan was at soccer. Mentally unprepared for my 10 mile long run, I almost called it off when Sophie came to the rescue. She had just completed her 10 miles which was motivation enough to get my butt in gear. Unfortunately I managed to find a route with many a hills. By mile 6 I was toast but I plodded along finishing at 10.22 miles with a 10:38 min/mile pace. When I got home, I hoped in the shower and then we were off to Elijah's to have dinner with the parents and to talk shop about the wedding (Ron is going to be our officiant). At dinner, I consumed chicken noodle soup, pastrami sandwich, pasta salad, and a cheese blintz. I feel like I could have eaten a cow at that point. Afterwards, we went to Whole Foods for some grocery shopping and once we got home Ryan planted the four wheatgrass planters for the wedding. It's official! 7 days and counting!

Comments

2 Responses to "Where To Begin..."

Unknown said... December 7, 2008 at 9:53 PM

I wish I was there...see you in less than two weeks!

Monkey said... December 7, 2008 at 10:09 PM

it's like we're not even related!

1) crazy bachelorette party complete with dildos

2) rancid

3) 10 mile run

who are you???