Japanese Squash

Sunday, March 15, 2009


Several weeks ago, my mom came to visit and brought many misc food items. One of them was a japanese squash, also known as a japanese pumpkin or kabocha. This squash has been in my fridge for quite some time, mostly because I wasn't too excited to cook it, not knowing what to do with it. Tonight, I finally decided to simmer it in some water, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar until tender. I also fried some salmon and sauteed some peppers with onions and garlic. All in all very filling and satisfying. A truly simple Asian dinner.

This weekend has been pretty busy. On Friday night we went over to our parent's place for take out dinner from Sipz, a vegetarian Thai restaurant. I got orange chicken (which of course wasn't really chicken but fried tofu) and was pleasantly surprised with the tastiness of my meal. On Saturday, I went to yoga which was great but painful and then Ryan and I went to Home Depot to buy some organic gardening soil and to Henry's for groceries. That afternoon I baked brownies (store bought because I was too lazy) to bring to Jaylynn's party that night and tackled the garden, which entailed pruning, pulling weeds, and spreading new soil. The picture below shows some sort of action going on with our fig tree. Are those two protrusions baby figs?? That night, we drove out to Rancho Penasquitos for Jaylynn's party. We hung out for a bit, eating lots of yummy food, chatting with everyone, and even petting her doggie.


Today, I went to yoga again which was equally painful considering how sore I am from yesterday's class. Afterwards, I hit the garden with a vengeance, clearing out debris and spreading soil like the jolly green giant. After grueling hours bent over my precious plants, I finally finish and hobbled back in to cook dinner. Now I'm sitting on the couch, stuffed and warm from vino. In closing, here's a picture of the new table and chairs we got for the breakfast nook area. So cute. Can't wait to paint those kitchen cabinets and eventual swap out that strange pendant lamp that came with the house.


Comments

1 Response to "Japanese Squash"

JV said... March 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Love the squash... Glad the post had no references to my "husband of the year". That lamp's not SO bad... it's got some character.