Roots!

Friday, July 24, 2009


After much patience, the plant cuttings I gathered from the neighborhood have finally spring nice root systems! I've got three hot pink geranium cuttings and three purple lantana cuttings. I've transplanted them into pots with a bit of manure compost to kick start their growth. Yay for propagation!

Unfortunately, we've decided to pull a bunch of zucchini plants since they were just taking over the bed. Strangely, the root systems for the large plants weren't very deep at all. Also, we decided to scrap our starter batch of compost. We had chopped up a lot of the giant bird of paradise leaves but they were taking way too long to break down. Badge attended a free Organic Composting class where the "master" composter told him that those leaves were probably too fibrous for normal composting. Our second batch is well under way though. Badge and I have been scouring the neighborhood for dry leaves to add to our "brown" materials.

Here's some of the zucchini plant victims. We'll add them to the compost so they can eventually contribute to our humble garden :). Tomorrow, I'll replant the mexican heather plants that I've been reviving. They seem to be doing well and I think are ready to play nice with the big plants now. Also, Spike gifted us some beautiful geraniums and big pots. Will take more pics tomorrow.


Comments

0 Responses to "Roots!"