Good Eats: The Linkery, Bread & Cie, and Wahoo's

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Oh boy, wasn't I just blogging about not eating out so much? Oh well, everything is fair game on the weekend...

On Friday, Badge and I went down to North Park for a repeat dinner at Sea Rocket Bistro. Unfortunately, the wait was about an hour, and frankly our stomaches weren't having any of it. So we hustled over to the Linkery, where we were seated right away (God bless their souls). As always, Badge wanted to order everything on the menu, but I reigned him in. We settled for some beers, a pak choi salad with sweet lemons and a delicious blue cheese dressing, and the house specialty: low country boil.


The boil was delicious. Corn, spicy andouille sausage, shrimp, clams, potatoes and jalapeno corn bread. Very flavorful and downright scrumptious. For dessert, we split the "chocolate 3-ways": chocolate cake, white chocolate ice cream, and milk chocolate sauce. Soooo good. Rich without being overwhelming. Not too sweet. Next time, I want to see chocolate 10-ways on the menu. I think I'm ready for it.


Stuffed, we wandered over to Bar Pink just to check it out as a potential music venue for Achilles Keaton. The bar was low key with a hipster feel. The stage was small and intimate, there were some pool tables in the back, and a street fighter arcade station. Badge tried playing but got his ass handed to him twice (we're convinced it was on a hard setting). Overall, it reminded me of a spot that would be in East Village or Lower East Side. Definitely a good neighborhood joint.

On Saturday, I went to yoga and felt much heavier during my Primary Series class. Damn that cornbread! At least I got a chance to sweat it out. Afterwards, we drove down to Hillcrest for lunch at Bread & Cie, a cafe/bakery I've heard of many times but never tried (sheer laziness). As soon as I walked in, the desire to stuff pastries in my mouth was overwhelming. Chocolate croissants, biscotti, cupcakes, you name it. Luckily I'm not a barbarian so we ordered like regular folks and sat down.

Nothing makes me happier than a big cup of forthy latte, complete with barista swirl.


I had a half sandwich half soup combo with portabella mushroom sandwich and creamy tomato soup. I'm a sucker for tomato soups, especially on brisk days. The sandwich was surprisingly good. Aside from the portabellas, there were roasted zucchini and slightly pickled red onions. Some sort of juicy sauce tied it all together.


Badge had the tuna sandwich which was also quite tasty (I had a bite). Here he is enjoying the meal way too much.


Even though we were full, there was no way we were leaving without trying a pastry. Badge surprised me with this choice: apple, rhubarb, and raspberry pie. Oh my God. This pie was out of this world. Best pie I've had in recent memory. The filling was tart and sweet. The crust was amazingly flaking and tender. No joke, eating this pie made me cry a little inside, knowing that at some point we would finish and there would be no more pie left. Woe is me.


Afterwards, we did a bit of shopping at American Apparel, then drove to DSW in Mission Valley. I recently ordered some shoes on shopbop which I really liked but turned out to be very uncomfortable (and way too tall). I was despondent so Badge thought a trip to DSW might help. Amazingly I found a pair that were similar in style, much more comfortable, and over $100 cheaper! Winner! Lastly, we stopped by West Elm to get some long overdue nightstands.

After all that shopping, we were hungry again (surprise surprise) so we stopped by Wahoo's. I got spicy blackened fish tacos and Badge got a fish burrito. Yum, I could eat this every day.



Today's yoga class was tough. I don't think Wahoo's is conducive to doing padangustha dhanurasana or the seven headstands of Ashtanga. This afternoon, I was planning to hit the garden but it's been raining. I guess I'll start my seeds indoors and transplant them when they've sprouted. Can't wait for it to get warmer!

Comments

2 Responses to "Good Eats: The Linkery, Bread & Cie, and Wahoo's"

Monkey said... February 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM

this post is OUT OF LINE. i'm so stuffed but i wanted to eat everything!

Ryan Gordon said... February 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM

it was all dericious...DERICIOUS