Clowns and Poker

Monday, March 15, 2010

My goodness. I've fallen behind with the posts.

Well, there's been a lot to discuss. There's also been an equal amount of laziness to blog. I have just enough energy tonight to give a quick low down on recent events.

Thurs: Kimbo got free tickets to Kooza from work and invited me to join her. It was my first Cirque de Soleil show and I absolutely LOVED it. Those people are simply amazing. My favorite act was definitely the three most flexible women in the world. Their backbends and arm balances were unreal. Freakishly bend-y and strong. There were also some very entertaining clown acts but I could have lived without them. Must plan to see O in Vegas asap!


Fri: We went to Erik's birthday party at El Camino. The wait was ridiculously long for a table (they don't take reservations). The first table we could snag was in the outdoor space which is actually a cool set up, except for the fact that airplanes are passing directly above you every 15 minutes. I was excited to get the chile rellenos again but of course they weren't serving it that night. Instead I got tacos which were dry and overcooked. The side of corn was not nearly as tasty as the first time I got it either. All in all, El Camino has completely lost it's appeal to me. I told Badge I would not be returning to that establishment. Aside from being peeved by the restaurant, I still had a great time. Always fun to get together with everyone.

Sat: Went to yoga. Not really sure what I did during the day (I'm sure it wasn't anything exciting). That night we went downtown to Namita's and Kal's new apartment for poker night with two of their friends. Namita made a delicious dinner of veggie lasagna with salad. Of course we also pigged out on cheese and crackers and lots of wine. For dessert, our hostess made brownies and Badge and I picked up lemon bars from Extraordinary Desserts. Yum-o. Poker was a riot. Lots of laughs and general silliness. I was down to my last 3 chips when I made a miraculous comeback (of course this never happens in Vegas). Will definitely have to hold poker night more regularly.

Sun: I had an invigorating yoga class. Inspired by the three freakishly flexible women, I requested the handstand version of scorpion which was intense (photo courtesy of absolutelyashtanga.com). Can only do it with the assistance of wall. Or the assistance of the teacher who came over and pried my feet to my ears. Yikes! Someone tell the man I have bones...


Afterwards, I went to Whole Foods, came home, and cooked up a delicious chicken enchilada casserole which I haven't made in a while. Very tasty and relatively quick to throw together.


This picture doesn't look too appetizing, more like a blob, but I'll still post for posterity.


Once full, I hit the garden for some long overdue cleaning and maintenance. I cleared out all the dead leaves and debris, gave the ol' compost a turn (stinky), and planted some seeds. This year I'm trying to grow: heirloom tomatoes, cilantro, basil, cucumber, peas, and zucchini. Will have more detailed post next weekend.


Mon: Tonight, I came home and cooked a simple comforting meal of creamy mushroom pasta with salad on the side (simple balsamic vinaigrette). The recipe was loosely adapted from Pioneer Woman. Cream sauces are so deliciously rich. I could eat them every day. Except I'd be fat...so fat... Sadly after dinner I had to take Badge to the airport. He's going to NYC and will not be returning until Thurs. At least I have a lot of leftovers to nibble on in his absence. It does bring me some comfort.


Comments

2 Responses to "Clowns and Poker"

JV said... March 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Cream sauce...mmmmm... I wonder if those freakishly flexible acrobats eat cream sauce. Probably not.

Monkey said... March 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM

your posts always make me hungry. i took a picture of the plum cake i made but i bet you will not approve of the shot...