Glorious Return

Sunday, March 13, 2011


These days, my green thumb has been limited to buying pre-cut flowers from the farmer's market (see above). While my indoor vase looks quite nice, my outdoor garden has been sadly neglected. In fact, I don't believe I've done any actual gardening in over half a year!

Well enough of that. I finally got off my lazy butt today and hit the weeds. I must admit, I was motivated by a visit from my mom and Uncle Jamie, who came down from LA on Friday. The sole reason for the visit? To bring me mulch and to trim my palm trees. Now, before you think me a slave driver, please know that this was completely of their own accord. My parents just love showering me with free mulch that they get in LA.

Today I went about hacking weeds, clearing debris, pruning, and fertilizing. Amazingly, many of my plants were doing quite well despite my lack of watering. Lucky for me, it's been unusually rainy this year. At long last, Badge and I harvested the compost (a two year work in progress) and have spread the black gold along our raised bed to dry and fluff. Still a bit odorous but definitely looks nutritious.


Amazingly, the fig tree my mom found as a sapling and nurtured to adulthood appears to bearing it's first fig ever!! Hooray! Will keep close tabs on this one.


The chinese loquat tree is also having it's first fruit bearing year. There's probably almost 15 loquats fattening up.


Can't wait to eat these suckers.


So overall things are in good shape. My three heirloom tomato plants are still alive and I will meticulously nurse them back to health. The bananas are still green but hopefully getting bigger. Flowers are sprouting on the peach, lemon, and lime trees. Life is good :).

Comments

1 Response to "Glorious Return"

Monkey said... March 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM

oh wow!! i'm so jealous of your fruit plants. i'm contemplating buying a little strawberry plant, but who knows...